Tier 1 Visa General Guideline
Tier 1 of the Points Based immigration System (PBS) is structured to allow non-EEA nationals whom will contribute most to the economy to immigrate to the UK.
A Tier 1 Visa application doesn't require the applicant to have a sponsor. It is solely based on the applicant successfully achieving points.
Highly skilled applicants fall under the Tier 1 visa category. Applicants may also meet the criteria for a Tier 1 visa in one of the following categories:
Tier 1 Visa – General Duration
The Tier 1 General visa, Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa and Tier 1 Investor UK visa categories are issued for an initial duration of three years. At the end of this period candidates may extend their leave to remain in the UK by a further two years, requiring they meet the Tier 1 Visa extension requirements. After this time the visa holder may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
Tier 1 Visa – General Eligibility
Under the Points Based System, UK visa applicants must be able to satisfy the language and maintenance requirements. It is particularly important for non-EEA nationals migrating to the UK to be able to speak the English Language with the exception of those entering the UK as investors.
Skilled migrants will need to prove they have sufficient English language skills in one of the following ways:
- The migrant is from a country where English is the main language
- The migrant has successfully completed a Master's degree course which was taught in English
- The migrant has passed an English language test that is equal to level C1 of the council of Europe's Common European Framework for Language learning
Under any of the Tier 1 visa sub categories the applicant must be able to support their self and any dependents for their entire stay in the UK without recourse to public funds. The total sum necessary to satisfy the requirement of the main applicant is £2,800. The first dependent will need approximately £1,870 and any further dependents will need to have £940 in their account at the time of applying.
The points for a Tier 1 Visa are based on the applicants UK experience, English language skills, qualifications, previous earnings, age and available maintenance.
Applicants will be awarded the following points for their qualifications:
- PhD = 45 points
- Masters Degree = 35 points
- Bachelor degree = 30 points
Employees must gain at least 50 points to qualify for a Work Permit. Candidates will be assessed by their qualifications and prospective earnings.
Points are awarded for the following;
- A PhD qualification = 15 points
- A Master's Degree = 10 points
- A Bachelor's Degree = 10 points
- An NVQ level 3 qualification = 5 points
Applicants will be awarded the following points for their previous earnings:
- £150,000 or above = 80 points
- £75,000 - £149,999 = 45 points
- £65,000 - £74,999 = 40 points
- £55,000 - £64,999 = 35 points
- £50,000 - £54,999 = 30 points
- £40,000 - £49,999 = 25 points
- £35,000 - £39,999 = 20 points
- £30,000 - £34,999 = 15 points
- £25,000 - £29,999 = 5 points
- Under £25,000 = 0 points
Applicants will be awarded the following points for their age:
- Under 30 = 20 points
- 30 to 34 = 10 points
- 35 to 39 = 5 points
Switching to a Tier 1 Visa
Under the points based system, it may be possible for the applicant to switch to that of a Tier 1 visa if they meet the requirements.
Our UK Visa and Immigration experts are specialists in dealing with applications for Tier 1 Visas to ensure that the whole process is simple and quick for you.
Candidates who seek a visa can speak to our British immigration experts at the UK Visa and Immigration for help, advice and action.
Click on our UK Visa Assessment form above or speak to us today for FREE on
0800 680 0260.