Tier 2 Visa - UK Work Permit Guideline
Please Note This Category is Closed
Tier 2 of the Points Based immigration System (PBS) is designed for work permits for sponsored employees.
Tier 2 visas are for medium and highly skilled workers interested in immigrating to the UK. To apply for a Tier 2 Visa, applicants will need to have a confirmed offer of employment with a British company.
The employer of a sponsoring company applies for a Tier 2 Visa on behalf of the candidate.
Other Tier 2 Visa categories include:
Tier 2 Visa – UK Work Permit Duration
Depending on the time frame specified by the sponsoring company, Tier 2 UK Work Permits can last for as little as one day but no longer than five years. If you work in the UK for five years with a Tier 2 Visa you can then apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain for more long term residence in the UK, you could then become a permanent resident.
Tier 2 Visa – UK Work Permit Eligibility for Employees
Applicants applying for a Tier 2 Visa will be assessed against the points Based System (PBS) in order to qualify they will need to meet the threshold of a minimum of 50 points.
The points for a Tier 2 Visa are based on the applicants UK qualifications, prospective earnings, age and available maintenance.
Applicants will be awarded the following points for their qualifications:
- PhD = 15 points
- Masters Degree = 10 points
- Bachelor degree = 10 points
- NVQ level 3 = 5 points
Applicants will be awarded the following points for their previous earnings:
- £24,000+ = 20 points
- £22,000 to £23,999 = 15 points
- £20,000 to £21,999 = 10 points
- £17,000 to £19,999 = 5 points
Level of Demand
Applicants will be awarded the following points for their level of demand:
- Non-shortage positions = 30 points
- Shortage positions = 50 points
Tier 2 Visa – UK Work Permit Eligibility for Employers
For the purposes of the points based Tier system, an overseas applicant is a national of a country outside the EEA and Switzerland.
An employer will need to register with the UK Border Agency as a licensed sponsor in order to sponsor applicants under the Tier 2 Visa. The employer will need to meet certain requirements for Tier 2 and will need to accept responsibilities to help with the immigration control.
All sponsors hold full responsibility of each candidate they sponsor. The UKBA will take away any sponsorship licence if they feel a sponsor has not fulfilled the relevant criteria.
The sponsor must first need to assign a Certificate of Sponsorship. This will act as an assurance that the applicant has the ability to undertake a particular job.
- The sponsor must ensure ongoing agreement with immigration law
- If a sponsor is found to be issuing a certificate in error the applicants they have sponsored will be given 28 days to leave the UK
- Two years in prison or a fine of £10,000 will be issued if a sponsor is found to be breaching immigration laws
Sponsorship Licence – Ratings
A or B sponsor ratings are awarded to all sponsorship licences. Any sponsor on an A rating can be demoted to a B rating and if this is the case they are given an action plan to which they must work towards to regain their A rating sponsorship license.
Sponsorship Licence Reporting Duties
The UK Border Agency must be informed if any of the following occur:
- If a sponsored migrant does not turn up for their first day of work
- If a sponsored migrant is absent from work for more that 10 consecutive working days without the sponsor's permission
- If the sponsored migrant has resigned or been dismissed
- If the sponsor stops sponsoring a migrant for any reason
- If there are any significant changes in the circumstances of the migrant
- If the sponsor has information that suggests that they are breaching the conditions of their leave
- If you suspect the migrant may be engaging in terrorism or other criminal activity. This information must also be passed to the police
Our UK Visa and Immigration experts are specialists in dealing with applications for Tier 2 Visas to ensure that the whole process is simple and quick for you.
Candidates who seek a visa can speak to our British immigration experts at the UK Visa and Immigration for help, advice and action.
Click on our UK Visa Assessment form below or speak to us today for FREE on
0800 680 0260.